DNA Barcoding of Mesopotamia fish fauna & Birds

Hello, I am interested in barcode the DNA of the Iraqi fish fauna & aquatic Birds. My colleagues, you know that Iraqi aquatic organisms didn’t studied covering DNA barcoding in order to achieve a database for our fauna. in addition to documenting their barcodes in the genebank and share the iBOL PROGRAM.
So, I need information and a guide to work on metabarcoding on aquatic organisms (eDNA).
Note: If any Research Scientist have interest to share our project, I would be so grateful.
I would appreciate that very much.
Thank you in advance.

You haven no choice but to get busy sending samples to the CBG to build the vertebrate library for your vertebrates. No library, no eDNA of use. Dan Janzen

please, If you kindly send me a CBG link or email to connect.

thank you

best regards

Sincerely yours

Mustafa S. Faddagh Ziyadi, Ph.D.

Molecular Ecology

Dept. Marine Vertebrate

Marine Science Center

Univ. of Basrah

Basrah-IRAQ

Hello Mustafa-Ziyadi. Thanks for posting here.

Dan is correct that building the library of reference sequences is of highest importance for barcoding and metabarcoding. The Centre for Biodiversity Genomics (CBG) in Guelph includes the Canadian Centre for DNA Barcoding (CCDB, http://ccdb.ca/), the world’s most efficient and dedicated laboratory for extracting massive numbers of DNA barcode sequences from specimens. It also hosts the data centre for the barcode reference library. Information on the solutions they offer can be found at http://ccdb.ca/solutions/.

It would be useful first to understand more about the project you are planning. I see that you work for the Department of Marine Vertebrates. Does your work relate to marine fish and birds or to freshwater species? What is the purpose of the project? You mention metabarcoding. Is this to develop an understanding of local communities, or to begin a monitoring programme for particular species, or something else?

Understanding your goals may help us to suggest useful resources or how to prioritise and plan next steps.

Very best wishes,

Donald

Thank you very much, Dear Dr. Donald for reply:

Surely, I am working in the Dept. Marine Vertebrate, Marine Science Centre, University of Basrah (governmental University). So, it is clear this my job project, I should present the final report and publishing papers in the first-class scientific journal. My institute is mentioned to study the aquatic ecosystems Marine ecology besides freshwater ecology in Iraq.

The second issue: my line is Molecular Ecology. So, DNA barcoding of fish fauna in marine and inland waters in addition to aquatic birds in Marshes located Southern of Iraq near Basra governorate.

The purpose of my two projects is to document Mesopotamian living vertebrate in a database genebank and IBOL program and the second project to monitor the freshwater of the Shatt Al-Arab River in Basrah using metabarcoding.

I am grateful to you and colleagues.

Sincerely yours

Mustafa S. Faddagh Ziyadi, Ph.D.

Molecular Ecology

Dept. Marine Vertebrate

Marine Science Center

Univ. of Basrah

Basrah-IRAQ

Thank you @Mustafa-Ziyadi for the extra information.

Here are some immediate suggestions:

1. The Barcode of Life Data Systems (BOLD, http://boldsystems.org/) is the central database for publishing and curating barcode sequences. Use the LOGIN link to request an account - this will help you to explore the data. Use the TAXONOMY link to explore sequences by taxonomic group, e.g. Aves or Ardea alba. You will see that, at present, we have few records from Iraq and surrounding regions, but many waterbirds are already represented by barcode sequences from other parts of the world. It is likely that you will be able to recognise sequences for these species. More documentation on BOLD can be found here: http://boldsystems.org/index.php/Resources.

2. As @caterpillar indicated, it is likely that you will need to get barcode sequences for other species that you wish to study in Iraq. Even for species already found in BOLD, additional specimens from other regions are most valuable. You may have laboratory facilities through which you can collect these sequences from Iraqi specimens, or you can use the facilities of CCDB in Canada to submit materials for sequencing there. If this is of interest, we can provide more information on requirements and costs. If you do collect barcode sequences yourself, please deposit these in BOLD so they help to fill gaps in the barcode library. Again, we can provide information on how to do this.

3. Many researchers around the world are developing protocols for metabarcoding freshwater and marine samples. You will find some recent examples in the online journal, Metabarcoding and Metagenomics.

4. The International Barcode of Life Consortium is an international network and we wish to work with active researchers in every country, particularly to deliver the vision of the BIOSCAN program. It would be fantastic to gain involvement from yourself and any colleagues in Iraq, and eventually for Iraq to become an iBOL member nation.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Best wishes,

Donald

Hi Mustafa,
There is a wide coverage for the ichthyofauna of Iraq regarding to COI reference, also other metabarcoding regions such as 12S. I agree above about specimens from your area of interest will be invaluable iBOL. Our group (eglbio.com) is working on fish biodiverstiy (freshwater & marine) of Turkey within out national research projects; also freshwater fish biodiversity of Europe within aour EU COST Action DNAqua-Net (dnaqua.net). One of PhD students in our research group is using eDNA metabarcoding to determine the aquatic avian species during migration season in Turkey. So I can see that we are focusing on same scientific questions. Anyway if you can provide me some information about your aims I can suggest you some papers in terms of methods for field, lab and bioinformatics.
Best
Emre